Friday, September 5, 2008

Our cute house (continued 3)


Brittany and I are particularly fond of our kitchen. I wish we had some before pics of the house so that everyone could see the before and after difference. One of our stipulations was that the appliances were literally as old as the house (about 1950). They worked ok but lets be realistic. So we were able to write an extra 3,000 into the mortgage to purchase new appliances. Soooo we got all stainless... fridge, double wall oven, hood/vent, and a black glass cook top. Being the handy guy that I am I had to re-frame the spot where the oven is to fit the new bigger oven. See, back in the 50's, appliances were a lot smaller than our are today, so even though there was a double wall oven there before it was smaller than todays smallest model. Britt and I then decided to paint the cabinets black instead of refinishing/ staining them. They were a nasty brownish orange, most likely a faded version of the original stain. We also put in all new stainless cabinet hardware. All of the original appliances were a light brown poop color and made Brittany throw up in her mouth a little bit every time she saw them. And of course we painted the walls also but I think I might use the rest of the red to paint the walls under the cabinets but above the counter.
The backsplash above the cook top used to be the banged up copper tile that we thought was pretty cool but ended up tearing out because it didn't match anything. I was going to sell it back because it was copper but it ended up getting thrown away... I don't even want to speculate how much it would have been (probably over $100, they were pretty heavy solid tiles). Anyways, I put stainless colored ceiling tiles instead, and I'm pretty proud of my work It really adds to the kitchens character, kind of a "modern" "antique" feel. Then to finish up my lengthy description, we went to IKEA for the very first time (yeah I said first time ever) about 2 weeks ago when we went up to see Jason in Minneapolis and we bought that stainless angle halogen light for only $45. We've been looking for a light similar for a while but they have been in the hundred+ range so we jumped on the $45 light that we like even better at IKEA like white on rice. side note: IKEA is probably one our favorite stores now. I can't believe we've been missing out for so long. So all in all we love our little kitchen, it's small but one of our favorite rooms in the house. Just a few in-expensive improvements really went a long way to modernize our home. We already have a large amount of equity.

0 comments: